Mast Climbing Work Platforms (MCWPs) are motorized elevating equipment that allows construction workers to work at varying heights. Its powered drive unit moves the work platform up and down a vertical mast structure, giving workers access to several different elevations, such as working on the facade of a building from the ground up to the roof.
As with all instances of working at heights, an MCWP presents fall hazards mitigated with a pre-shift daily inspection. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) created an MCWP Daily Inspection Walkthrough Tool to assist workers in completing a daily assessment. The Inspection Walkthrough Tool is a free electronic tool that covers all the points of a pre-shift daily inspection needed before using an MCWP.
The tool takes a user through inspecting:
- Inclement weather.
- Visibility of the platform and that it is clear of obstructions to move up and down.
- Ground safety perimeters are maintained, and barriers are in place.
- Horizontal and vertical levels of the base and the front and side faces of the mast structure.
- Ground structure and outrigger pads/blocks are structurally sound.
- Mast section and nuts/bolts checks.
- Motor inspection, including fuel, oil, and wire checks.
- A working fire extinguisher is present.
- Drive unit operation features and emergency/safety features.
- Ensuring warning signs, stickers, and placards are in place and legible.
- Platform/planking condition and ensuring OSHA approval.
- Guardrail and end plank guardrail sections are present and secure.
- The platform is not overloaded, and that all materials are secure.
- Tie-off points are accessible from the platform area.
- Personal Fall Arrest System protocols.
- Anchor/tie connections.
- Mechanical descent stops are in place, and the specific mast end cap is at the top of the mast.
- Tie/anchor spacing meets the manufacturer’s specification and the site engineer’s design.
- Appropriate guarding and signage for ingress/egress are in place.
- All operators have proper training from an authorized source with documentation available while operating the equipment.
The tool allows an inspector to check to make sure that every inspection point is without fail. Such safeguards are what keep workers safe!
Safe Keeper offers an array of fall protection products and accessories to keep workers safe and in compliance.